Thursday, January 13, 2011

New Year New Yawn

Could you watch it? The memorial service from Tucson, Arizona of the January 8th shooting at a political gathering that killed six people, was televised yesterday. I couldn't watch it. It was on the TV but just couldn't bring myself to listen or see the images. A very tragic event.

Instead I went outside and watched my son and his friend sled down our hill. The joys of my family are made in memories every day. My daughter who is bored from the snow-days just wanted to get out of the house, so we put dry clothes on and went to the mall to walk around. Living in Asheville is challenging because our two children grew up with neighbors right across the street to play with. Not so where we live now. But I am proud of the way they have adapted to the area despite the cultural differences.

Strength comes in various forms. During an open house at my daughters school one of her teachers commented as I walked through the door "You're a large, tall man, I wouldn't mess with you". It was a funny comment because I don't see myself that way, but it helps with the guys that want to date her. My philosophy has always been that our family draws on our collective strength and we draw strength from our faith in God.

My wife is source of great strength and inspiration with a strong faith. The snow continues to fall, the temperature will be well below freezing but the sun is shinning and the best is yet to come.

No comments: