Monday, September 06, 2010

Sunday Buckout


A few weeks ago a neighbor told me about a Buckout (practice bull riding) in Woodruff, SC. He said it was a small place but that it was attracting some good riders. The buckout was at Raymond Buckners' ranch just north of Greenville, SC. I decided to look him up and find out a little bit more about his event. He and I spoke a couple of times over the past few weeks about bringing cowboy church and announcing for the Bull Ride.

Just before I talked to Raymond I met a man by the name of Peter Finch who was interested in doing a documentary about Cowboy Churches. We met one day while I was shopping at Jacksons Western Wear, one of my favorite places to hang out in Asheville, he was talking to the owner who put him intouch with me, all while we were just standing there in Jacksons. A chance meeting, I don't think so. Peter shared with me his vision about wanting to do a documentary on cowboys and cowboy church. As we began to talk we both realized that we had alot in common. I tell you that because no sooner had Peter and I met that this opportunity to do a Cowboy Church at this buckout opened up.

Finally I was able to get there over to the buckout this Labor Day weekend. They buckout every Sunday at 5 PM in the summer. Iin addition to Cowboy Church Peter showed up with a video crew to document Cowboy Church and the buckout. I'm not sure but I think it was more than he bargined for. Because at one point I looked over at Peter and his other camera man and both of them had grins from ear to ear. They were having a good time.

For our first cowboy church at the buckout I thought it went very well. There were about 25 people there and 9 riders. Once things settled down we had an opportunity to talk with each of the riders and others that were just there to watch and they all said the same thing. "We want Cowboy Church here each Sunday!" Peter asked me to interview a few of the bull riders and ask there experiences, kind of the "why do you do something like that?" question. One theme began to emerge and it was about their personal faith in Christ, the relationship each one of those young men had with Christ was unique yet they all spoke of their experiences as a tool to witness to their friends.

1 Peter 3:15 says it best; but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect,

Be able to share the Good News is very different from actually putting the truck in DRIVE and heading out on the highway to go do it. God showed me an opportunity and I had no other choice but to answer. No agenda or personal gain, just the call.

If you're ever near Woodruff, SC on a Sunday call me up and I'll give you directions to the Buckout Cowboy Church

No comments: