Thursday, July 29, 2010

Leadeship

The other day someone mentioned to me that a local church was looking for a new pastor and that I should ask the search committee for an interview. The pastor of the church she was talking about had suddenly quit before the Wednesday service and he had only been there a few months. About 2 weeks before I happen to hear someone else talking about the same church and a recent interim pastor that had preached a couple of Sundays. They had mentioned how much they enjoyed the pastor that was filling in the void left by the younger pastor. The person also said, "I wish we could get him to be our full time minister". The only problem I saw with their request was that the interim pastor they were talking about was almost 90 years old and no one would relate to this pastor but the older members. How would that attract younger families?

So back to the original conversation with the individual that mentioned that I should apply at this church. My response was probably taken the wrong way but my reply was this, I said, "that church wouldn't want me!" Any more when I see a red brick building it makes me turn away because most of those congregations are running the young ministers off because they don't want a pastor to reach the young families that live in the communities around them, they want church to be like it was when they were young, 40 years ago.

Why do I keep coming back to the red brick church? Because there is so much pain and turmoil behind those walls. It's on my mind because God has put it there and I've got to address it. Now I'm not some influentional member of a denominational board or even looked upon for advise from church leaders but if I were I would be telling the older generation of the church leaders to wake up or get left behind. But no one is asking my opinion.

That opinion, by the way, is not only mine but the voice of so many crying out in our communities around us. If we go out and reach people for Christ, invite them to church and then drop them into 1974 it is not going to last. Those families won't stick around for very long. Recently I was having a conversation with a pastor that was afraid for his job, he was the pastor of a very volatile small town church, he had tried change with the church and almost got fired, so he bowed to the pressure and went back to the way it was. But he told me that he was afraid to try anything new because if he invited some of the young families around the church he didn't want them to come in and leave. So do you see the delima, a pastor afraid of new people because of his churches tradition. He is also afraid of losing the big tithers because they have threatened him with withdrawing their tithe. Wow!

Who will go!? Maybe someone who is reading this has an answer to reaching the young families today with the gospel of Jesus Christ. Someone with influence, fearless in the face of tradition, yet humble in the delivery of the saving message of our Lord and Savior. A new generation of the church, not the organization of Christians doing the business of the church which usually leaves in it's wake a path of disappointment and conflict, but a movement of Christ followers moving with the Holy Spirit leading and guiding their every move. This requires integrity, trust, strength and the ability to stand up for the cause of the Cross. Savy!

No comments: