Monday, October 18, 2010

Invisable

"Membership has it's rewards", one business quotes to entice consumers to use it's services. Recently I have had some interesting conversations about membership in a church. And the responses I get are as varied as the number of people I have spoken too.

Does church membership equal rewards, earthly or eternally? Since I began my journey as a church planter I have encountered some, well-meaning, misinformed, yet educated men who have tried to set me straight, as it were, on how to "do" church, (cowboy church). Some have said, "if it doesn't meet on a Sunday then it's not church", others have said because we have church at a rodeo arena or outdoor venue that it is not church. I've been told that it's more of a "service" but it's not church. Most of these guys are career pastors with a salary and retirement plan. Most have never gone out and planted a church without a full time income to back them. It would be safe to say that most would not even venture into that arena for fear of losing their car or home.

So back to membership. If a church requires membership to participate in it's activities or voting power in which color the carpeting will be, or will the pastor be here next week or not, does this entitlement into the hallowed halls of church life provide a proper setting for christian service or social posturing?

Look at the following example. Recently I ran into a friend who is familiar with our church planting efforts here in Western North Carolina. To which our conversation began on the lack of vision residing in many of the nearly empty pews in the established church venues. In order to fulfil their desire to worship the Living God they go to a large church where they find comfort in just going in to worship and then leave with out making contact with another person upon entry and exit. Now what I know of church is the exact opposite of that experience. Church should be a place of sharing and carrying one anothers burdens. Instead church, in many eyes, is a social networking location of the popular and posturing population.

Any wonder why church is not meeting it's intended mission in our communities. Each week an email from the NC State Baptist Convention Worship consultant fills my in-box saying the same thing, maybe a little nicer but he is going around and hawking church services to observe their worship style or lack of and then sends his thoughts through the world wide web on how our churches are missing the mark in worship.

Like my friend who shows up each Sunday to the Mega Church, (because it's easy to be as face in the crowd), only to get fed and leave without any other contact save than that of the Holy Spirit. Do you get the picture yet? This is the coming generation of leaders in our churches. Why is the picture of so many of our churches filled with members only? I'll never forget Mark, the pastor of Victory Baptist here in Asheville said to me when I brought one of my ministry leaders and best friends to church one Sunday, Mark took me to the side and said,"You may not want to bring visitors with you right away until people get used to you being here." No kidding, this pastor was afraid of new people coming in and upsetting the "membership". Yikes!

Does membership have it's rewards in church? Where will the leaders of the church in 10 years come from?

Matthew 15:8 "'This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me;
Matthew 15:9 in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.'"

The Lord desires your authentic worship. John 4:23 But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him.

The one membership that counts is the Grace of Christ and the salvation from our sins He gave us from the cross. Bring your worship and that is the membership with eternal rewards. Popular and posturing have no room in Gods Kingdom, His arms provide plenty of space for your worship, come as you are. Allow Christ into your heart to make you into the kind of person He wants you to be

1 comment:

Gene Blankenship said...

Cindy posted this comment and I am passing it on.
Here is what I would have said...(I apologize for it being so long...I just kept 'talking and talking'...)

History definitely repeats itself, in fact there is a passage in Ecclesiastes that states there is nothing new under the sun. I was in high school during the 70's at the height of the Jesus People movement. My father was a Pastor of a small church in northern Minnesota but his ministry spread far beyond those doors. He led an ecumenical bible study with Catholics, Baptist, Methodists and anyone else who wanted to attend. The Lord ministered during those meetings as much as any church service. In fact, these meetings fostered a spirit that probably would not have been possible in a "regular" church service.

I did a high school research paper on the Jesus People. Part of my research was meeting with a group that was travelling through town on a bus, spreading the gospel to whoever would listen. They were able to reach young people and others who would never have entered the church doors. Many of the Jesus People were not welcomed into established churches because of their clothes, long hair and sandals. They moved out of the churches and established prayer meetings and bible studies of their own.

This is kind of a long answer to a short question: will it matter in eternity whether or not we were members of a congregation? Truthfully, I don't think it will: What will matter is whether or not we were faithful.

Jesus didn't spend much of His life in the synogage, His ministry was in a boat with fisherman, on a hillside with people, walking the roads with friends and followers. I believe that He expects us to do the same. Cowboy Church will reach people that would not be comfortable in a 'normal' service. Is one better than the other? All that matters is whether or not it reaches people where they are, not forcing them to be or pretend to be something they are not.

On judgement day God will not say only those who were members of a church are welcome in heaven anymore than He will say that only those who worshipped outside or at a rodeo can make it in. Jesus' followers were fishermen, a physician, tax collector and many others from all walks of life: He met them where they were and gave them the help they needed. He led by example and we must do the same.

I wrote this a while ago, it may help to explain what I am trying to say:

Can you see?...

When you look at me and smile
Then ask me how am I
Can you see the sadness in my eyes
When I say that I’m fine?

When you pass me on the street
And see my precious child
Can you see that we haven’t had
A meal in quite a while?

When you see my bruised arms and face
And I tell you that I fell
Can you see my tortured heart
That I hide from you so well?

When I’m not at church or at work
When you wonder where I am
Can you see I need you to be
A friend beyond all friends?

When I move from my house
And give no new address
Can you see me living in a car
Because I have no place to rest?

Can you see what lies beyond
The surface of my heart?
Can you see me longing to
Find a place where peace can start?

I need someone to come along
Beside me as I walk
To listen when I’m quiet
And then show me how to talk

I need to know the joy you have
I need to feel the love
I need to find your source of strength
Is it from heaven above?

Is it this Jesus that you talk
About from time to time?
Is He the one Who gives you peace,
Love, joy and eternal life?

Will you lead me to Him?
Will you show me the Way?
Will you stop your busy life
And really look at me today?

Can you see me? ? ?